Sunday, April 24, 2005

BOSTON OR BUST - 26.2 MILES TO GO (PART I)

On April 18 at noon, I started off on a goal that took me 19 years to achieve. That goal was running in the Boston Marathon. Sometime back in high school, a friend and I joked about how our goal was to run the Boston Marathon. This was absurd because we weren’t distance runners, we were 3-milers at best. We just kind of thought that maybe one day it would be nice. And now we jump ahead 15 years.
After a 15-year break from running, I decided I needed to start running again. I was 25 pounds overweight and an overeating, drunken slob (for more in-depth coverage of this time of my life, refer back into the archives for the story entitled “Endurance Junkie”). Well, I started running…and running and running. Then I started running marathons. All of the sudden, I thought that maybe that goal I had joked about in high school could now be achieved. I was not at the Boston Marathon caliber of running yet, but I could be if I worked harder.
You see, to run the Boston Marathon, you have to qualify by running a designated fast time for your age group, say 35-39 years of age. My qualifying time would need to be 3 hours, 15 minutes, or 3:15. My first marathon back was done in a 3:57. Not bad, but I had a ways to go. Eventually, I got a little better and better. My progression of times were as follows: 3:45, 3:41, 3:35, and then 3:25. I was getting much closer to my goal of 3:15. And then I had two troublesome marathons of 3:51 and 3:48. I was going in the wrong direction and thought that maybe I couldn’t do it.
But a simple three months after these two troublesome marathons, I was at the starting line for the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon. This marathon had worn me down once before, so I knew I had my work cut out for me. When I got to the halfway point of this marathon, 13.1 miles in, I was right on pace to finish in 3:15, but I still had another 13.1 miles to go. I knew soon I would start wearing down and would have to run through some pain and some cramps.
With one mile to go, I looked at my watch and realized I was still right on pace, but I was beginning to fade. I thought to myself this was the do-or-die moment, and it could all fall apart here. I just put my head down and pushed my legs as hard as they could go after running 25 miles already. I actually started passing people in my jaunt to the finish line. If I don’t slow down, I might be able to make it, but I knew it would be close. Then I turned a corner and saw the finish line 200 yards ahead. I told myself to just hang on for another 200 yards and you’ve got it. I chugged and chugged and finally crossed the finish line. I stopped my watch and looked down at my time. I saw it and I couldn’t believe it. I had to take another look.
After all that hard work, after all those miles of running during my training for this race, after all those years that just wasted away, I could not believe that my watch was correct. I needed a 3:15…and my watch said 3:14:56. I had done it, with four seconds to spare! All of the sudden, the pain I was feeling went away. My exhaustion had suddenly turned into overwhelming energy. I felt like I could run forever.
I went back to my hotel room after the race and I just couldn’t stop smiling. It was a weird feeling to achieve a goal that seemed so unattainable. And to achieve that goal a mere 19 years later somehow made it all the more sweet. I just remember looking in the mirror before I left and asked myself a question I had asked myself before when I was a drunken overweight slob (see “Endurance Junkie” story in my archives)—“Where are you going to go from here?” And this time my answer was, “Boston”.

(Stay Tuned For Part II)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home