Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Ramones Meet The Runner

To start, I must clear something up about a previous posting, "Endurance Junkie." I did not invent the title. My friend did. Actually, it is copywritten, and I used it with kind permission, so don't get any funny ideas. Well, enough of that. Now, back to our regularly-scheduled program.
To most, running a marathon (26.2 miles) may seem like an insane task, and they are right. It is not something I take lightly. There is never any guarantee I will finish it. So the morning of the marathon I need to get myself into a mind-set that will help me turn off that sensible voice in my head that's screaming, "Cruzbomb, go back to sleep, you jerk-off! What are you thinking?" And I do this by listening to the Ramones at a loud volume.
While most other runners are trying to relax on their drive or walk to the starting line, I am blasting the Ramones' blissful and raucous music to my ears. And why, you ask? For two reasons-- one is that it helps stir something up in my sweet little tummy. You know what I'm talking about. I have to unload before the race. I can't just start a marathon with a full stomach. It would be rude, especially to the runners behind me. I mean, I have to maintain some class.
The second reason I listen to the Ramones is that it pumps me up. It makes me believe that I can do anything. And the reason is because the Ramones started out at a time when rock had become a big business full of long, drawn-out songs that were more or less meaningless to me and made me think rock was not for your average person. It was for virtuosos that had no place in rock. They made me think I had to go to some music school to play in a band. Then the Ramones came along with their three chords and leather jackets and adrenaline and just let loose. Their simplicity was a thing of beauty, and it made me, and a million others, feel we could start a band if we learn a few chords. It wasn't about creating an opera. It was about creating rock-- in this case punk rock.
So all that runs through my mind while I'm spiking up my hair and throwing on my sunglasses and getting ready to test my endurance levels. If I can believe I can do it, then there is no reason I can't do it, unless I crap myself because I skipped the above-mentioned ritual. So every morning of a marathon, the Ramones meet this runner and together we get ready to kick ass-- either the race or my own. But damn it, somebody's ass is getting kicked!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home